BENTON COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
IN THE COUNTIES OF TAMA, BENTON, AND IOWA, STATE OF IOWA
PUBLIC HEARING ON FY’20 BUDGET AMENDMENT AND BENTON REGULAR BOARD MEETING, WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 21, 2019, 7:00 PM
BENTON COMMUNITY CENTRAL ADMINISTRATION OFFICE BOARD ROOM
304 1ST STREET, VAN HORNE, IOWA 52346
CALL TO ORDER: 7:00 P.M.
ATTENDANCE: Directors Becker, Feuerbach, Ludeking, Nolte, Stepanek and Thompson.
ABSENT: Director Reinhardt.
The meeting was called to order and a quorum declared present.
ALSO PRESENT: Dr. Ewell, Doug Embray, Anna Upah, Holly Hase, Kristen Neff, Rayne Hoey and Brianna Hillyer.
DELEGATIONS, COMMUNICATIONS, CONSIDERATIONS OF ADDITIONAL ITEMS FOR THE AGENDA/ OPEN FORUM: Dr. Ewell and Doug Embray recommended a prorated amount of $84 to be paid to the Benton CSD Board Treasurer, Eva Bartelt (due to elections and appointment of officers changing from September to November).
Action #18 Approval of Stipend
Motion by Becker, second by Thompson to approve stipend of $84 for Eva Bartelt as Benton CSD Board Treasurer for the months of September and October due to the election change for the Fall of 2019. MOTION CARRIED ALL MEMBERS PRESENT VOTING AYE
New teachers were greeted by the Board, with introductions of staff to Board members and sharing of teaching assignments. New staff for FY’20 include: Holly Hase, Rayne Hoey, Brianna Hillyer, Jeanette Ziegenhorne, Samantha England, Conner Tipping, Garret Albers, Tracy Rodman and Kristen Neff.
OPEN FORUM: No public comment.
Action #19 Approval of Agenda
Motion by Thompson, second by Nolte to approve agenda as presented. MOTION CARRIED ALL MEMBERS PRESENT VOTING AYE
Action #20 APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
Motion by Becker, second by Feuerbach to approve the minutes of the July 17 and August 5th Board Meetings. MOTION CARRIED ALL MEMBERS PRESENT VOTING AYE
Action #21 WARRANTS
Motion by Nolte and second by Thompson to approve warrants as presented. MOTION CARRIED
ALL MEMBERS PRESENT VOTING AYE
Action #22 FINANCIAL REPORTS
Motion by Nolte, second by Thompson to approve financial reports as presented. MOTION CARRIED ALL MEMBERS PRESENT VOTING AYE
Action #23 FALL ACTIVITY SCHEDULE:
Motion by Becker, second by Thompson to approve budget amendment as presented. MOTION CARRIED ALL MEMBERS PRESENT VOTING AYE
Anna Upah shared quizlet information pamphlets with the Board on student and teacher activity for the Summer of 2019.
Dr. Ewell shared information on registration and enrollment with the Board.
SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT REPORT
Anna Upah shared information on summer learning for teachers. A handout (Teacher Quality Funds – Summer Learning at BC) was provided.
FACILITIES: The board discussed the quotes received for the roadway and parking areas at Norway Elementary. Due to the amounts of the quotes received, the Board will need to consult with a design firm regarding the scope of work for each area.
Action #24 Resignations
1. Carrie Herman, Associate, Special Education
2. Angelia Miller-Williams – Associate, Special Education
3. Erika Hass – Data Team Leader
4. Brady Stramer – Baseball Coach
5. Ann Franzenburg – Spring Play Director
Motion by Becker, second by Thompson to approve resignations as presented. MOTION CARRIED ALL MEMBERS PRESENT VOTING AYE
Action #25 Recommendations:
1. Dawn Embretson – JV Volleyball
2. Jodi Metz – Associate, Special Education, Norway
3. Athletic Trainer – Compass Memorial Healthcare, Michael Ouellette
4. Volunteers recommended by Shawn Pfiffner: Ryan Junge – football, Jamie Telgenhoff – volleyball.
Motion by Becker, second by Ludeking to approve recommendations as presented.
MOTION CARRIED ALL MEMBERS PRESENT VOTING AYE
Dr. Ewell and the Board discussed the option of sharing a part-time counselor position with Vinton-Shellsburg. Parameter of the position discussed was 25% of one FTE to be provided 1 day per week at Keystone Elementary.
Action # 26 BOARD POLICY
The following Board policies were reviewed:
• 711.6 – Transportation Insurance Program
• 201 – Board of Director Elections
• 202.2 – Oath of Office
• 209.7 – Approval of Administrative Regulations
• 209.8 – Development of Board Policy
• 210.1 – Annual Meeting
• 700.1 – Non-instructional Operations and Business Services
• 701.1 – Transfer of Funds
• 701.3 – Depository of Funds
Motion by Thompson, second by Becker to approve Board Policy as presented, revised and edited per IASB recommendation. MOTION CARRIED ALL MEMBERS PRESENT VOTING AYE
STUDENT ACTIVITY TRIP REQUESTS APPROVAL – No action taken.
Action #27 Sign Language Interpreter with Hands Up Communication – Contract:
Motion by Becker, second by Nolte to approve contract with Hands Up Communication. MOTION CARRIED ALL MEMBERS PRESENT VOTING AYE
• Learning opportunities for the Board at regular meetings – discuss interests for upcoming meetings
• Upcoming Meetings and Important Dates:
◦ School Board Meeting, Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. Work session at 6:00 p.m.
◦ School Board Meeting, Wednesday, October 18, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. Work session at 6:00 p.m.
◦ School Board Elections, November 5, 2019
▪ Districts up for Election
▪ Election Process and Dates
◦ School Board Meeting, Monday, November 18, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.
◦ School Board Meeting, Wednesday, December 28, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.
• Iowa Association of School Boards – State Meeting
◦ Attending? Please indicate days, hotel needed, etc.
◦ Appoint Board member as Delegate Assembly representative
Director Stepanek volunteered to represent Benton CSD at the IASB Delegate Assembly in November 2019.
Action #28 ADJOURNMENT 9:20 P.M.
Motion by Nolte, second by Becker to adjourn meeting.
MOTION CARRIED ALL MEMBERS PRESENT VOTING AYE