Belle Plaine, Iowa
September 18, 2019
A meeting of the Belle Plaine Community School District Board of Education was held on Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 6:45 p.m. in the board room at Longfellow Elementary, Belle Plaine.
Members Present: Marie Stratford, Mike Bachelder, Rima Johnson
Val Coffman, Brad Cook
Members Absent: None
Administration Present: Chad Straight, Heather Coover, Todd Werner
Board Secretary Present: Stacey Kolars
Visitors Present: Interested Patrons
Press Representative: None
The meeting was called to order by President Stratford at 6:45 p.m.
Motion Cook, second Bachelder to approve the agenda. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
There were no delegations.
CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
The consent agenda items were considered. There was motion by Bachelder second by Johnson to approve the consent agenda items. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried. The consent agenda items that were approved are listed below:
- Approval of the minutes of the August 21, 2019 meeting.
- Approval of bills, payroll, financial statements.
- Personnel/Business Items:
- Acceptance of the resignations: Katie Stull from TLC position.
PRINCIPAL REPORTS-Secondary Principal, Todd Werner and Elementary Principal, Heather Coover gave their respective reports to the board on the following topics:
Superintendent Straight gave his report to the board
There were no communications.
- Approval of the Employment of Personnel-There was motion by Cook, second by Bachelder to approve the employment of Matthew Mengler as Junior High Weight Lifting Sponsor. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
2. Focus on Education: HS Biology-Sally Coleman presented information to the board regarding changes in the Biology program curriculum.
3. Action/Discussion on New Signs at High School and Elementary-This item was tabled from the last board meeting so more information could be received from companies regarding the scope of LED graphics/imaging capabilities. After Superintendent Straight presented the information, and recommended that if the board prefers the full color LED signs, Stewart Signs was the company he would recommend. Discussion took place regarding pricing, trenching, concrete base installation as well as sign installation. There was motion by Cook, second by Johnson to approve the standard signs from Stewart Signs at the cost of $5,359 for the Longfellow sign, and $6,404 for the Jr/Sr High School sign. Cook, Johnson, Coffman, voted “aye.” Bachelder voted, “nay.” Motion carried.
4. Action/Discussion on FFA Trip and Other Out-of-State Field Trips-
Superintendent Straight presented a list of out-of-State field trips including an additional FFA trip to Wisconsin. There was motion by Cook, second by Coffman to approve the FFA trip and out-of-State field trips. All voted, “aye. Motion carried.
5. Approval of Modified Allowable Growth and Supplemental State Aid for Special Education Deficit-There was motion by Cook, second by Bachelder to approve the Modified Allowable Growth for Supplemental State Aid for the special education deficit in the amount of $153,697.09. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
6. Action/Discussion on Equity Coordinator and Title IX Coordinator-
There was motion by Cook, second by Coffman to approve Superintendent Straight as the Equity Coordinator and Title IX Coordinator. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
7. Action/Discussion on Level I Investigator and Alternate, and Homeless Liason-There was motion by Coffman, second by Johnson to approve Principal Todd Werner as the Level I Investigator, and Homeless Liason and Principal Heather Coover as the alternate for the Level I Investigator. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
8. Action/Discussion on Second Reading of 200 Series Policies–There was motion by Bachelder, second by Johnson to approve the second reading of policies, 203, 209.3, 2107R1, and 210.9 with the recommended changes. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
9. Action/Discussion on Second reading of Facility Use Policy 905.1-
After review and discussion, there was motion by Cook, second by Bachelder to make changes to the Facility Use board policy 905.1, and to approve the first reading of the policy with those changes. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
10. Action/Discussion on Review of Minor Update of Board Policy 507.9-
There was motion by Cook, second by Bachelder to approve updates to board policy 507.9-Wellness Policy. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
11. Action/Discussion on SIAC Committee and SIAC Members-
There was motion by Bachelder, second by Cook to approve the listing of SIAC Committee, and members presented to them for review by Superintendent Straight. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
12. Action/Discussion on Closing/Settling of Financial Books from 2018-2019-
Business Manager/Board Secretary-Treasurer, Stacey Kolars presented the Certified Annual Report for fiscal year 2019 for all funds. There was motion by Bachelder, second by Coffman to approve the closing/settling of the financial books from 2018-2019. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
There was motion by Cook, second by Coffman to adjourn the meeting at 7:34 p.m. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
Marie Stratford, Board President Stacey Kolars, Board Secretary