Minutes of Atkins City Council Meeting
January 20th, 2020
Council met in Regular session. Members present by roll call were: Mayor Bruce Visser, Robert Spading, Heather Rinderknecht, Nathan Shepard, Lana Robison and Joey Svejda. Absent: None.
Mayor Bruce Visser called the meeting to order at 7:32 pm. Also, present: Amber Bell, City Clerk, Todd Damon and Jarrod Tomlinson from Atkins Public Works, Nick Eisenbacher from Snyder & Associates, Dave Vanous from Stone Ridge Developing, Dan Rammelsberg, Gary Lange, David Kurka and Ben Kurka all from Atkins Fire Department, Cathy Becker from Atkins Public Library, Christy Damon and Mike Palumbo.
Spading made a motion to approve the consent agenda for January 20th, 2020 Including:
- City Council Minutes of Regular Meeting January 6 th, 2020.
- Receive and file Engineers report dated January 20th, 2020.
- Receive and file Engineers recommendation letter dated January 15th, 2020 – Subbase
recommendation – Stone Ridge Development.
- Receive and file Atkins Water Distribution System Study, SRF Checklist, Preliminary
Engineering Report December 27th, 2019. Snyder & Associates, City Engineer.
- Receive and file Mayors report concerning the US Census Bureau information for the City of
Atkins. dated January 20th, 2020.
List of Bills for Approval.
Svejda seconded to the motion. Ayes: Svejda, Rinderknecht, Spading and Robison. Nay: Shepard. Absent: None. Motion carried.
Bills for approval January 20th, 2019
- Cathy Becker Wages $ 1,225.95
- Amber Bell Wages $ 1,852.27
- Amber Bell Wages $ 1,852.27
- Todd Damon Wages $ 1,728.86
- Todd Damon Wages $ 264.72
- Vicky Myers Wages $ 203.80
- Jarrod Tomlinson Wages $ 1,326.35
- AETNA Behavioral Health Employee Insurance $ 16.80
- Benton County Solid Waste Gate Fees $ 1,470.00
- Brown Supply Fire Hydrants Supplies $ 4,930.00
- Brown Supply Fire Hydrants Supplies $ 48.00
- Brown Supply Fire Hydrants Supplies $ 112.00
- CHASE Card Training $ 710.00
- CHASE Card Microsoft 360 $ 37.50
- CHASE Card Postage $ 187.84
- CHASE Card New Flags $ 298.21
- CHASE Card Office Supplies $ 24.62
- CHASE Card Roads Department $ 29.46
- CHASE Card Library Office Supplies $ 5.89
- CHASE Card Books $ 448.22
- Chem-Sult Water Department $ 897.45
- Critical RF Fire Department $ 482.50
- D P Properties Library Cleaning $ 254.00
- EFTPS Federal Payroll Tax Deposit $ 2,266.10
- Future Line Truck Equipment Snow Roads Equipment $ 1,376.64
- Gazette Communications Publishing Expenses $ 43.32
- Gazette Communications Publishing Expenses $ 109.60
- G & H Electric Inc Library lighting repairs $ 216.82
- Hawkeye Fire Safety Fire Department $ 47.00
- ION Environmental Solutions Water Department $ 3,057.00
- John Deere Financial Roads Department $ 107.94
- Library Furniture International Library Shelf $ 3,093.00
- Menards Water Department $ 118.33
- MidAmerican Energy Fire Department $ 104.86
- MidAmerican Energy City Hall/Library $ 224.30
- MidAmerican Energy Water Department $ 354.30
- MidAmerican Energy Park Pavilion $ 83.52
- MidAmerican Energy City Shop $ 127.15
- Our Town Publications Newsletter $ 40.20
- Snyder & Associates City Engineering $ 2,013.04
- Wellmark Health Insurance $ 3,376.46
- Wendling Quarries, Inc Salt/Sand $ 148.35
- Amber Bell Health Insurance $ 377.47
- Total $ 35,692.11
- General $ 22,080.28 $ 22,678.97
- Road Use Tax $ 22,705.54 $ 5,857.06
- Employee Benefit $ – $ 5,914.30
TIF $ –
- Local Option Sales Tax $ –
- Water $ 22,193.95 $ 19,299.81
- Sewer $ 50,352.22 $ 2,108.49
- Total $ 117,331.99 $ 55,858.63
The Council reviewed and discussed the Atkins Fire Department Annual Report, by Dan Rammelsberg. The Council also heard a presentation about the Atkins Public Library, by Cathy
Svejda made a Motion to Adopt Resolution 768 Approving Fund Transfers for the fiscal year
2019 – 2020 for the City of Atkins, Iowa. Spading seconded the motion. Ayes: Svejda,
Rinderknecht, Spading and Robison. Nay: Shepard. Absent: None. Motion carried.
Robison made a motion to approve Resolution 770 adopting variance for design standards pertaining to geo-grid and subbase recommendations of the Stone Ridge Development. Shepard seconded the motion. Ayes: Svejda, Rinderknecht, Shepard, Spading and Robison. Nay: none. Absent: None. Motion carried.
Svejda made a motion to change the date of the next regular Atkins City Council meeting from February 3rd, 2020 to February 4th. 2020 at 7:00pm. To avoid conflict with the Iowa Caucus. Robison seconded the motion. Ayes: Svejda, Rinderknecht, Shepard, Spading and Robison. Nay: none. Absent: None. Motion carried.
Shepard made a motion to change the date of the Public Hearing to consider a resolution establishing maximum property tax levy of The City of Atkins Budget FY21, Pursuant to Code of Iowa Section 384.15A. Robison seconded the motion. Ayes: Svejda, Rinderknecht, Shepard, Spading and Robison. Nay: none. Absent: None. Motion carried.
The Council discussed the City of Atkins Budget FY21 and creating a City Administrator Position. The Council also discussed the Atkins Water Distribution Study 2019. The Council also discussed updates from Atkins Public Works.
The next Regular Council Meeting date for Tuesday, February 4th, 2020 at 7:00PM at Atkins City Hall.
Svejda made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Robison seconded the motion. Ayes: Svejda, Rinderknecht, Shepard, Spading and Robison. Nay: None. Absent: None. Motion carried.
City Clerk: Amber Bell
Mayor: Bruce Visser