Belle Plaine, Iowa
August 24, 2020
A regular meeting and public hearing of the Belle Plaine Community School District Board of Education was held on Monday, August 24, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. in the gymnasium at Longfellow Elementary, Belle Plaine.
Members Present: Val Coffman, Ben Reineke, Stephen Beck, Rima Johnson, Alicia Jacobi
Members Absent: None
Administration Present: Chad Straight, Heather Coover, Ryan Devereux
Board Secretary Present: Stacey Kolars
Visitors Present: Interested Patrons
Press Representative: None
The meeting was called to order by President Coffman at 6:30 p.m.
Motion Reineke, second Johnson to approve the agenda. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
There were no delegations.
The consent agenda items were considered. There was motion by Jacobi, second by Reineke to approve the consent agenda items. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried. The consent agenda items that were approved are listed below:
- Approval of the minutes of the July 8, 2020 meeting, the July 22, 2020 meeting and the August 5, 2020 special meeting.
- Approval of bills, payroll, financial statements.
- Personnel/Business Items:
- Acceptance of the resignations: Kenneth Bruce Robinson, bus driver; Mary Behaunek, teacher associate.
PRINCIPAL REPORTS-Secondary Principal, Ryan Devereux and Elementary Principal, Heather Coover gave their respective reports to the board on the following topics:
Superintendent Straight gave his report to the board
Rima Johnson read a letter she received from a community member.
1. Action/Discussion on Return to Learn Plan – Interested Parents and community members were present to discuss their interest regarding the hybrid Return to Learn plan for the 2020-2021 school year that was approved at the last board meeting. Parents that spoke on this item were: Alexa West, Brittany Hunt, Stephanie Palmer, Kim Jacobi, Hilary McCain, Tracy Papesh, Katy Fort, Bea Kaplan, Jill Alcott, Tory Edgar, Derek Beal, Jessica Koeppen, Amy DeMeulenaere, Tricia Miller and community member, Marie Stratford. After listening to parents and community members, open discussion took place between the board and community members/parents present regarding options for returning to school 100% in-person, and online learning. There was motion by Reineke, second by Jacobi to start the 2020-2021 school year 100% brick-and-mortar with parental choice to elect online learning for their children with assessment of the plan on September 14th, or possibly sooner. PPE including face coverings will be mandatory unless social distancing can be achieved. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
2. Action/Discussion on PPEL/SAVE Projects – Discussion took place regarding the current projects that have been completed to date and project priorities for future dates. The board agreed that they would like to establish a timeline regarding a plan for the old Lincoln JH building. The board also agreed allow Mr. Straight to research more specifics on technology and a new door/security panel for the weight room. The board would like to re-visit the PPEL/SAVE project discussion in December. No action was taken on this item.
1. Approval of the Employment of Personnel-There was motion by Beck, second by Reineke to approve the employment of Kalee Miculinich as teacher associate at the Jr/Sr High School, and Roby Yilek as junior high football coach. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
2. Action/Discussion on Student Handbooks-There was motion by Reineke, second by Johnson to approve the student handbooks for the 2020-2021 school year. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
3. Action/Disucssion on Teacher Handbook-There was motion by Reineke, second by Beck to approve the teacher handbooks for the 2020-2021 school year. All voted “aye.” Motion carried.
4. Action/Discussion on Coaching Handbook-Activities Director, Mark Tegeler was present at the meeting to discuss the changes to the coaching handbook and to answer questions from parent, Tricia Miller regarding the current weight lifting program for student athletes during athletic season, and during the off-season. After discussion there was motion by Johnson, second by Reineke to approve the coaching handbook for the 2020-2021 school year. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
5. Approval of the Submission of Title I and Other Applications for 2020-2021-
There was motion by Johnson, second by Jacobi to approve the district’s submission of Title I and other applications for the 2020-2021 school year. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
6. Approval of Transportation for Extra-Curricular Activities-There was motion by Jacobi, second by Johnson to approve transportation for the district’s extracurricular activities for the 2020-2021 school year. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
7. Approval of Transportation Agreements with Other Districts for 2020-2021-There was motion by Beck, second by Johnson to approve transportation agreements with other districts for the 2020-2021 school year. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
8. Action/Discussion Nursing Support- Superintendent Straight informed the board he met with the school nurse to discuss any needs she may have for the upcoming year. Superintendent Straight said he and the nurse needed more time to identify additional needs. There was motion by Beck, second by Reineke to approve giving Superintendent Straight the authority to make changes to the nursing program based on needs. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
9. Hearing on School Calendar Revisions for 2020-2021- A public hearing was held regarding revisions to the school calendar for the 2020-2021 school year. Questions were taken from the audience regarding commencement date, changes to the last day of school with an August 31, 2020 start date for students, and early outs for professional development with AEA support on Thursdays.
10. Action/Discussion on School Start Date and Revisions to School Calendar for 20-21-
After the public hearing on the school calendar, there was motion by Reineke, second by Johnson to approve the 2020-2021 school calendar with revisions as discussed for a start date of August 31, 2020 and early dismissals at 1:00 for students every Thursday for the first semester. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
There was motion by Beck, second Reineke to adjourn the meeting at 9:11 p.m. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
Val Coffman, Board President
Stacey Kolars, Board Secretary