Belle Plaine, Iowa
March 10, 2021
A regular meeting of the Belle Plaine Community School District Board of Education was held on Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. in the gymnasium at Longfellow Elementary, Belle Plaine.
Members Present: Val Coffman, Ben Reineke, Stephen Beck, Rima Johnson, Alicia Jacobi
Members Absent: None
Administration Present: Chad Straight, Heather Coover, Ryan Devereux
Board Secretary Present: Stacey Kolars
Visitors Present: Interested Patrons
Press Representative: None
The meeting was called to order by President Coffman at 6:30 p.m.
Motion Reineke, second Johnson to approve the agenda with the addition of the addendum regarding action/discussion on setting the date and time for the April board meeting as Business Item #8. In the same motion, Business Item #6 was moved to Business Item #1a. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
There were no delegations.
The consent agenda items were considered. There was motion by Johnson, second by Reineke to approve the consent agenda items. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried. The consent agenda items that were approved are listed below:
- Approval of the minutes of the February 10, 2021 regular meeting and the February 26, 2021 special meeting.
- Approval of bills, payroll, financial statements.
- Personnel/Business Items:
- Acceptance of the resignations: Kim Wickwire, teacher associate retiring at the end of the school year, Angela Winkie, teacher associate resigning at the end of the school year, and Don Anderson, teacher retiring at the end of the school year.
PRINCIPAL REPORTS-Secondary Principal, Ryan Devereux and Elementary Principal, Heather Coover gave their respective reports to the board on the following topics:
Superintendent Straight gave his report to the board
Board Secretary, Stacey Kolars updated the board on the food service review that had recently been completed.
1. Action/Discussion on PPEL/SAVE Projects-Discussion took place regarding the current projects that have been completed to date and project priorities for future dates. Fund balances were reviewed. No action was taken on this item.
2. Action/Discussion on Return to Learn and Field Trips-Discussion took place regarding facility use and organized school events for school-age children. Prom is currently being held in the gym with promenade taking place on the track. Motion Reineke, second Johnson to open the school’s facilities with the same current protocols as the school with masks being required and all events being approved by the administration. Completion of the facilities form is needed as well with adult supervision at all times. Spectators of events will be expected to follow all the rules. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
1. Approval of the Employment of Personnel-There was motion by Beck, second by Jacobi to approve the following personnel: Jackie Rupp as alternative school teacher, Lindsey Maston as Middle School Generalist, and Sadie Anderson as 6th Grade Elementary Teacher. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
1a. Action/Discussion on Final Approval of Architect’s Plans and Drawings for the FCS Room and Art Room-A representative from ISG Architects presented information to the board regarding a preliminary statement of probable costs, and to review the drawings for the remodeling of the FCS and Art rooms at the junior/senior high school. The total estimate for both rooms was $531,859. After discussion took place regarding time-lines for procuring bids, and holding a public hearing for approval of those bids, there was motion by Reineke, second by Jacobi to approve the architect’s final plans for the FCS and Art Room at the junior/senior high school. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
2. Focus on Education: 7-12 Social Studies- Secondary Teachers Mark Tegeler, Andy Dahlquist, Todd Bohlen and Jon DeGraff presented to the board regarding social studies instruction and activities in their respective classrooms at the secondary level.
3. Action/Discussion on Setting Date and Time for FY22 Budget Public Hearing-There was motion by Reineke, second by Johnson to set April 12, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. as the date and time for the public hearing for the FY22 school district budget. All voted “aye.” Motion carried.
4. Action/Discussion on Setting Date and Time for FY21 Budget Amendment Hearing-Motion Jacobi, second Reineke April 12, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. as the date and time for the public hearing for the FY21 school district budget amendment. All voted “aye.”
5. Action/Discussion on Setting the Date and Time for the 21-22 School Calendar Public Hearing-There was motion by Johnson, second by Reineke to set the public hearing for the 21-22 school calendar for April 12, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
6. Action/Discussion on Final Approval of Architect’s Plans and Drawings for the FCS and Art Room-This item was moved to Business Item 1a.
7. Action/Discussion on Setting Date for Board Workshop-There was motion by Reineke, second by Beck to set the board workshop for Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
8. Action/Discussion Nursing Support- Superintendent Straight informed the board he met with the school nurse to discuss any needs she may have for the upcoming year. Superintendent Straight said he and the nurse needed more time to identify additional needs. There was motion by Beck, second by Reineke to approve giving Superintendent Straight the authority to make changes to the nursing program based on needs. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
There was motion by Beck, second Reineke to adjourn the meeting at 7:50 p.m. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
Val Coffman, Board President
Stacey Kolars, Board Secretary