Belle Plaine, Iowa
July 14, 2021
A regular meeting of the Belle Plaine Community School District Board of Education was held on Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. in the board room at Longfellow Elementary, Belle Plaine.
Members Present: Val Coffman, Ben Reineke, Steve Beck, Alicia Jacobi, Rima Johnson
Members Absent: None
Administration Present: Chad Straight, Ryan Devereux, Heather Coover
Board Secretary Present: Stacey Kolars
Visitors Present: Interested Patrons
Press Representative: None
The meeting was called to order by President Coffman at 6:30 p.m.
Motion Johnson, second Reineke to approve the agenda. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
There were no delegations.
CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
The consent agenda items were considered. There was motion by Reineke, second by Johnson to approve the consent agenda items. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried. The consent agenda items that were approved are listed below:
- Approval of the minutes of the June 9, 2021 regular meeting, and the June 23, 2021 special meeting
- Approval of bills, payroll, financial statements.
- Personnel/Business Items:
- Acceptance of the following resignations:
Matthew Mengler-Speed and Agility Sponsor
Jackie Rupp-.5 FTE Alternative School Instructor
Mark Tegeler- A.D., Instructional Coach, Coach.
PRINCIPAL REPORTS-Secondary Principal, Ryan Devereux and Elementary Principal, Heather Coover gave their respective reports to the board on the following topics:
Superintendent Straight gave his report to the board
Condolences were sent to the family of Bette Kratoska after her recent and sudden passing.
- Action/Discussion of Summer FCS/ART Project and Change Orders-There was motion by Reineke, second by Beck to approve a change order for the FCS and Art Room remodel project in the amount of $30,000 additional cost for the replacement of a hydronic piping unit. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
2. Action/Discussion on PPEL/SAVE Projects-Discussion took place on the current PPEL and SAVE projects taking place in the district. Board Treasurer, Stacey Kolars will present the fund balances at the next meeting. Director, Steve Beck presented a plan with the City regarding the plot of land to the west of the Longfellow Elementary School Building. There was motion by Reineke, second by Johnson to proceed with the plan in working with the City to turn the current space into potential parking for the district. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
1. Employment of Personnel-There was motion by Beck, second by Jacobi to employ the following personnel: Jessica Williams, secondary associate; James Blomme, bus driver, lunch and school mail delivery and grounds; Logan Jensen, secondary English Language Arts teacher. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
2. Action/Discussion on Student Handbooks- Principal Ryan Devereux and Principal Heather Coover presented the student handbooks to the board and discussed changes. After discussion, there was motion by Johnson, second by Reineke to approve the student handbooks for the 2021-2022 with the changes. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
3. Action/Discussion on Return to Learn Plan-Superintendent Straight presented a rough draft of the Return to Learn Plan to the board. Discussion took place on potential changes for the upcoming 2021-2022 school year. No action was taken on this item.
4. Action/Discussion on Second Reading of Board Policies 900-804.5 and 900-907R.1- There was motion by Reineke, second by Jacobi to approve the second reading of board policies 800-804.5 and 900-907.R1. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
5. Action/Discussion on ESSERII Plan Feedback from Community, Staff and Students-Superintendent Straight informed the board that in order for the district to complete an approved ESSER III plan, schools are required to seek public input on how to spend those funds. Discussion took place regarding the ESSER III funds. Superintendent Straight will be sending out an online survey to the community to seek additional feedback. No action was taken on this item.
6. Appointment of Belle Plaine Board of Edcuation Secretary and Treasurer for the 2021-2022 School Year-There was motion by Beck, second by Reineke to appoint Stacey Kolars as the Board Secretary and Treasurer for the 2021-2022 school year. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
7. Action/Discussion Regarding Establishment of School Depositories and Maximum Deposit Amounts- There was motion by Johnson, second by Jacobi to approve the following depositories and maximum amounts:
Chelsea Savings Bank $5,000,000
All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
8. Action/Discussion on Provisions on Bonds for the Belle Plaine Secretary and Treasurer-There was motion by Reineke, second by Jacobi to approve the district’s blanket bond for the board secretary/treasurer for the 2021-2022 school year. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
There was motion by Beck, second by Reineke to adjourn the meeting at 8:22 p.m. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
Valerie Coffman, Board President
Stacey Kolars, Board Secretary