Belle Plaine, Iowa
February 9, 2022
A regular meeting with closed session of the Belle Plaine Community School District Board of Education was held on Wednesday, February 9, 2022 at 6:30 p.m. in the board room at Longfellow Elementary, Belle Plaine.
Members Present: Val Coffman, Steve Beck, Alicia Jacobi, Rima Johnson, Ben Reineke
Members Absent: None
Administration Present: Chad Straight, Ryan Devereux, Heather Coover
Board Secretary Present: Stacey Kolars
Visitors Present: Interested Patrons
Press Representative: None
The meeting was called to order by President Coffman at 6:30 p.m.
Motion Johnson, second Jacobi to approve the agenda. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
There were no delegations.
CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
The consent agenda items were considered. There was motion by Reineke, second by Jacobi to approve the consent agenda items. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried. The consent agenda items that were approved are listed below:
- Approval of the minutes of the January 12, 2022 meeting.
- Approval of bills, payroll, financial statements.
- Personnel/Business Items: Approval of Resignation(s)-Megan Zuber, elementary teacher; Cathy Cronbaugh, elementary teacher (early retirement); Kalee Miculinich, secondary associate.
Ryan Devereux and Elementary Principal, Heather Coover gave their respective reports to the board.
Superintendent Straight gave his report to the board
COMMUNICATIONS-There were no communications.
- Action/Discussion of FCS/ART Project and Change Orders-Superintendent Straight updated the board on the current status of the completion of the FCS/ART room remodel project. No action was taken on this item.
- Action/Discussion on PPEL/SAVE Projects-Superintendent Straight informed the board that bids will soon be requested for demolition of the old Junior High building. Quotes will also be needed for asbestos removal prior to demolition. No action was taken on this item.
- Action/Discussion on Branding and Mascot-Superintendent Straight informed the board that contact had been made with the representative, but a timeline had not been set for moving forward. It may be possible for the district to seek out other companies for this service.
1 Employment of Personnel-There was motion by Johnson, second by Reineke to employ Brandon Mantz as the assistant boys’ track coach for the upcoming season pending his state coaching certification. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
2. Action/Discussion on HS Principal and AD Duty Compensation-There was motion by Johnson, second by Reineke to pay Ryan Devereux $2,000 for the second semester for his duties as AD. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
3. Action/Discussion on Second Reading of Board Policies: There was motion by Beck, second by Jacobi to approve the second reading of board policies 106 and 400-404R1. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
4. Action/Discussion on Offering Summer School this Summer-There was motion by Jacobi, second by Reineke to offer an elementary summer school. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
5. Report on ESSER Expenditures-Board Secretary/Treasurer and Business Manager, Stacey Kolars updated the board on the district’s ESSER expenditures. No action was taken on this item.
6. Action/Discussion on School Website-Updates from Katie Stull and Superintendent Straight were given regarding the current status of the school’s website updates. No action was taken on this item.
7. Action/Discussion on Band/Choir Risers-There was motion by Beck, second by Johnson to approve the purchase of risers for the district’s music program. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
8. Discussion Regarding School Budget for Next Year-Superintendent Straight went over the Aid & Levy worksheet and the rough draft of the district’s budget for the 2022-2023 school year. No action was taken on this item.
There was motion by Jacobi, second by Johnson to go into closed session per the request of the superintendent according to Iowa Code 21.5, 1(i). All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
The board came out of closed session at 9:50 p.m.
There was motion by Beck, second by Reineke to adjourn the meeting at 9:50 p.m. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
Valerie Coffman, Board President
Stacey Kolars, Board Secretary