Belle Plaine, Iowa
August 10, 2022
A public hearing and regular meeting of the Belle Plaine Community School District Board of Education was held on Wednesday, August 10, 2022 at 6:30 p.m. in the board room at Longfellow Elementary, Belle Plaine.
- Members Present: Val Coffman, Ben Reineke, Rima Johnson, Stephen Beck
- Members Absent: Alicia Jacobi
- Administration Present: Chad Straight, Heather Coover, Ryan Devereux
- Board Secretary Present: Stacey Kolars
- Visitors Present: Interested Patrons
- Press Representative: None
The meeting was called to order by President Coffman at 6:30 p.m.
Motion Johnson, second Reineke to approve the agenda. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
There were no delegations.
PUBLIC HEARING REGARDING CONTINUATION OF PARTICIPATION IN THE INSTRUCTIONAL SUPPORT LEVY PROGRAM
A hearing was held on the 2022-2023 Belle Plaine Community School District’s continuation of participation in the Instructional Support Levy Program for a period of five years. There were no questions or comments from the community.
ACTION/DISCUSSION REGARDING RESOLUTION OF PARTICIPATION IN THE INSTRUCTIONAL SUPPORT LEVY PROGRAM
There was motion by Beck, second by Johnson to approve the following resolution:
RESOLUTION OF PARTICIPATION
Director Stephen Beck introduced and caused to be read the Resolution hereinafter set out and moved its adoption; seconded by Director Rima Johnson after due consideration by the Board, the President put the question upon the adoption of said Resolution and the results of the roll call vote were:
Aye – Beck, Johnson, Reineke, Coffman
Whereupon the President declared said Resolution duly adopted as follows:
WHEREAS, the Board deems it necessary and desirable to continue to provide additional funding for the Belle Plaine Community School District generated by participation in an Instructional Support Program; and
WHEREAS, pursuant to duly published notice, the District held a public hearing on the question of participation in such a program; and
WHEREAS, the District wishes to take action to adopt a Resolution to continue to participate in an Instructional Support Program; NOW, THEREFORE, be it resolved by the Board of Directors of the Belle Plaine Community School District, in the Counties of Tama, Benton, Poweshiek, and Iowa, State of Iowa, as follows:
The Board of Directors of the Belle Plaine Community School District in the Counties of Tama, Benton, Poweshiek, and Iowa, State of Iowa, does hereby resolve to participate in the Instructional Support Program for a period of five (5) years, to levy annually, as determined by the Board, an instructional support property tax which will be levied annually upon the taxable property within the District, commencing with the levy of property taxes for collection in the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2024, and an instructional support income surtax imposed annually for each budget year, the percent of income surtax (not to exceed twenty percent (20%)) to be determined annually by the Board for each budget year to be imposed upon the state individual income tax of each individual income taxpayer resident in the District on December 31, 2024, and each year thereafter.
The funds thus collected, when combined with Instructional Support State Aid shall not exceed ten percent (10%) of the regular program district cost, including the budget adjustment pursuant to Iowa Code section 257.14 for any budget year. Instructional Support Program funds may be used for any general fund purpose.
All resolutions or orders or parts thereof in conflict herewith be and the same are hereby repealed to the extent of such conflict.
Passed and approved August 10, 2022.
The consent agenda items were considered. There was motion by Johnson, second by Reineke to approve the consent agenda items. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried. The consent agenda items that were approved are listed below:
- Approval of the minutes of the July 13, 2022 Meeting
- Approval of bills, payroll, financial statements.
- Personnel/Business Items:
- Acceptance of the resignations: Courtney Markham, teacher associate; Jessica Williams, teacher associate; Dawn Chekal, teacher associate.
PRINCIPAL REPORTS-Secondary Principal, Ryan Devereux and Elementary Principal, Heather Coover gave their respective reports to the board.
Superintendent Straight gave his report to the board
President Coffman shared the she had received a few phone calls regarding parents starting a PTO (Parent Teacher Organization). On behalf of the board, president Coffman communicated the board would welcome such an organization and would be pleased to support it.
1. Action/Discussion on PPEL/SAVE Projects – Discussion took place regarding the current projects that have been completed to date and project priorities for future dates. No action was taken on this item.
1. Approval of the Employment of Personnel – There was motion by Reineke, second by Johnson to approve the following personnel for employment: Lauren Sebetka, Preschool teacher; Emma Crawford, Kindergarten teacher; Steph Long, 2nd Grade support teacher (2 hours per day-2 days per week); Lindsay Wilkins, teacher associate; Stephanie Peiffer, JH Student Council Sponsor; Jarrett DeFields, JH FB Coach. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
2. Action/Discussion on Equity Coordinator and Title IX Coordinator – There was motion by Reineke, second by Johnson to approve Lisa Koch as Equity Coordinator and Superintendent Chad Straight as the Title IX Coordinator for the 2022-2023 school year. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
3. Action/Discussion on SIAC Committee and Members – There was motion by Johnson, second by Reineke to approve the listing of SIAC members for the 2022-2023 school year presented by Superintendent Straight. All voted “aye.” Motion carried.
4. Action/Discussion on Level I Investigator, Alternate and Homeless Liaison – There was motion by Beck, second by Reineke to approve Ryan Devereux as the Level I Investigator and Homeless Liaison, and Heather Coover as the alternate Level I Investigator for the 2022-2023 school year. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
5. Action/Discussion on Out-of-State Trips – There was motion by Beck, second by Reineke to approve the Surviving Singles trip to Chicago, IL; the National Ag Convention in Indianapolis, and a possible trip to Washington, D.C. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
6. Action/Discussion on Board Policy 606.3 – There was motion by Johnson, second by Reineke to approve the first reading with the discussed changes of Board Policy 606.3-Animals in the Classroom. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
7. Action/Discussion on Return to Learn Plan for 22-23 – There was motion by Reineke, second by Johnson to approve the proposed Return to Learn Plan for 2022-2023. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
8. Action/Discussion on School Social Worker Contract – There was motion by Beck, second by Johnson to approve the shared contract with Grant Wood AEA for a social worker in the 2022-2023 school year. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
There was motion by Beck, second by Reineke to adjourn the meeting at 7:04 p.m. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
Val Coffman, Board President
Stacey Kolars, Board Secretary