Belle Plaine, Iowa
September 14, 2022 Regular Board Meeting
A regular meeting of the Belle Plaine Community School District Board of Education was held on Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 6:30 p.m. in the gymnasium at Longfellow Elementary, Belle Plaine.
Members Present: Val Coffman, Ben Reineke, Rima Johnson, Alicia Jacobi, Stephen Beck
Members Absent: None
Administration Present: Chad Straight, Heather Coover, Ryan Devereux
Board Secretary Present: Stacey Kolars
Visitors Present: Interested Patrons
Press Representative: None
The meeting was called to order by President Coffman at 6:30 p.m.
Motion Rieneke, second Johnson to approve the agenda with the exception of the moving Business Item #2 to just after the Consent Agenda items. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
There were no delegations.
The consent agenda items were considered. There was motion by Jacobi, second by Johnson to approve the consent agenda items. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried. The consent agenda items that were approved are listed below:
- Approval of the minutes of the August 10, 2022 meeting.
- Approval of bills, payroll, financial statements.
- Personnel/Business Items:
- Acceptance of the resignations: There were no resignations.
PRESENTATION ON HOUSE CONTRUCTION PROGRAM-Larry Formanek (Moved from Business Item #2)-Larry Formanek, instructor of the new housing construction program at the high school, was present at the meeting to discuss the progress of the current project(s) underway.
CLOSED SESSION-The board moved to go into closed session for the purpose of discussing the purchase/sale of particular real estate-Iowa Code 21.5(1)j.
Motion by Beck, second by Reineke to go into closed session at 6:53 p.m. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
The board came out of closed session at 8:10 p.m.
PRINCIPAL REPORTS-Secondary Principal, Ryan Devereux and Elementary Principal, Heather Coover gave their respective reports to the board.
Superintendent Straight gave his report to the board
Superintendent Straight informed the board of the upcoming IASB Convention.
1. Action/Discussion on PPEL/SAVE Projects-Discussion took place regarding the current projects that have been completed to date and project priorities for future dates. Fund balances were reviewed. No action was taken on this item.
1. Approval of the Employment of Personnel-There was motion by Beck, second by Reineke to approve the following employees: Holly Gates, TLC Mentor; Kelly Welsh, TLC Mentor; John Daniels, TLC Mentor; Leah Mast, TLC Mentor; Marna Vogt, Associate. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
2. Focus on Education: House Construction Program-This item was moved to after the Consent Agenda Items.
3. Action/Discussion on Professional Development Plan for 2022-2023-The professional development plan for the 2022-2023 school year was presented by the principals. There was motion by Reineke, second by Jacobi to approve the plan for the 2022-2023 year. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
4. Action/Discussion on Second Reading of Board Policy 606.3-There was motion by Johnson, second by Jacobi to approve the second reading of Board Policy 606.3-Animals in the Classroom. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
5. Action/Discussion on October Workshop and Date-There was motion by Jacobi, second by Johnson to hold a board workshop on Thursday, October 27, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
6. Action/Discussion on Snow Removal Bids-There was motion by Beck, second by Johnson to table this item until the October board meeting. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
There was motion by Beck, second Reineke to adjourn the meeting at 8:45 p.m. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
Val Coffman, Board President Stacey Kolars, Board Secretary