Van Horne Community Newsletter
In May of this year, the city began a clean-up effort in town by providing dumpsters to residents. The next phase has begun with the hiring of a firm to assist the city in identifying those in violation of the current ordinances and well as strengthening the current City Code regarding rubbish, junk vehicles, and properties in disrepair. The first reading of these new ordinances was approved at the October 10th council meeting. There will be two more readings – at the November 14th and December 12th meetings, where the council is seeking input from residents prior to possible adoption. You can find copies of the proposed changes on the city’s website – www.vanhorne-ia.com – as well as in the lobby of City Hall.
A big thanks to the members of the Rec Department and the BYSA organization for another successful soccer season. Thanks also to residents on the west side of town for their patience and understanding on Saturday mornings.
Lastly, the Community Potluck is on the last Tuesday of each month at noon at the Community Center. I hope to see you there on the 25th of October. — Mayor Pat Gorkow
“If you’re blaming, you’re not solving.” – Jocko Willink
Dates on Deck:
- October 16 ICCC Beef and Pork Dinner at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church from 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- October 17 Sons of the Legion Sandwich Meals 5:30-7:00 p.m.
- October 19 Fire Department Battery Up beginning at 6:00 p.m.
- October 23 Lions Breakfast @ CC starting at 8:30 a.m.
- October 25 Senior Citizen Luncheon at the CC @ Noon
- October 27 Jen Loeb (Author and Mountain Climber) @ Library at 6:00 p.m.
- October 31 Lions Halloween Meal at 5:00 p.m. @ CC
- October 31 Trick or Treating (following Lions Party)
- November 8 Election Day
- November 8 St Andrew Soup Supper Drive Thru at St Andrews Church from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m.
- November 13 Lions BINGO at CC
- November 14 Van Horne Council meeting at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall
- November 15 Sara Broers, Author of 100 Things to Do in Iowa, @ Library at 6:00 p.m.
Battery Up: We would also like to remind everyone that October 19th is “Battery Up” night. What is battery up you ask? Since October is Fire Prevention Month, we go around town replacing the batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors for FREE. We ask that you turn your porch light on, to signal us that you want us to stop. We do understand that some lights automatically turn on, but we will stop by just to check if you need any batteries. If your detector is over 10 years old it is time to replace it. Some new detectors come with a 10-year sealed battery. We do have smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors for sale when we come around, if you would need one. We will also help replace it if you need us to or help put up a new one.
We will start at 6 pm. You will see us driving around in the fire trucks. We understand not everyone is home at 6pm. We will make a second pass around town just to see if any new lights are on. If we miss you, just give us a call and we will set up a time to come by. For the people we missed or if you live in the country, call Larry Hlas 319-228-8610.
- The LIONS Motto is: WE SERVE
- This month we contributed to the IOWA LIONS FOUNDATION that helps fund KidsSight vision screening.
- We collect used glasses and hearing aids to be cleaned and recycled. (Also will help a community member if in need.)
- Helped sponsor the Kids Fall Festival.
- Our next breakfast is October 23rd starting at 8:30 a.m.
- Hope to see all of our area kids at the Halloween Meal before Trick or Treating – October 31st at 5:00 at the Community Center.
- Look for BINGO November 13th at the Community Center.
St Andrew’s Lutheran Soup Supper Drive Up: November 8, 2022 from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. Serving: chili, veg-beef and chicken noodle soup; ham salad and egg salad sandwiches; apple, cherry or pumpkin pie. Free Will donation, supplemental funds from Thrivent Financial. All profits to Missions. Deliveries available to Van Horne shut-ins by calling 228-8325.
Birds of A Feather:
- Month of November during open hours Food Drive. Bring a non-perishable food item to receive 10% off one item.
- Saturday December 3 Christmas Open House. Door prizes/Hot Cider and cookies. Many Christmas gifts and Décor.
FROM THE DIRECTOR: Author Jen Loeb is coming back to talk about her climbing adventures on October 27th at 6:00 p.m.. Come find out and enjoy. Last time was exciting and fun for all who attended. Don’t miss out.
Author and lifelong Iowan, Sara Broers will share all the amazing things to see and do in Iowa on Tuesday , November 15th at 6:00 @ the Van Horne Library. Books will be available for purchase.
Adult Fiction: TICK TOCK by Fern Michaels, CAPTIVE by Iris Johansen, FAIRY TALE by Stephen King, THE GIRL FROM GUERNICA by Karen Robards, DESPERATION IN DEATH by J.D. Robb, ROBERT B. PARKER’S: FALLOUT by Mike Lupica, BLOW BACK by James Patterson, FALLING STARS by Fern Michaels, SWEETWATER AND THE WITCH by Jayne Castle, THE ORCHARD by Beverly Lewis, DREAMLAND by Nicholas Sparks, NEXT IN LINE by Jeffery Archer
Adult Fiction Large Print Books: SOLD ON LOVE by Kathleen Fuller, MARRIAGE CAN BE MISCHIEF by Amanda Flower, DEATH BY BUBBLE TEA by Jenifer J. Chow, DECEPTION by Patricia Bradley, LONG WAY HOME by Lynn Austin, SUNBURST by Susan May Warren, OUT OF THE CLEAR BLUE SKY by Kristan Higgins, GOODBYE AGAIN by Mariah Stewart
Adult Non-Fiction: IOWA: OFF THE BEATEN PATH by Lori Erickson
Children’s: HERE WE COME by Janna Matthies, I WANT MY BOOK BACK by Viviane Elbee, BIG BOLD BEAUTIFUL ME by Jane Yolen, A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS by Kate DiCamillo
YA: HONEYS by Ryan LaSala, BLACK GIRLS LEFT STANDING by Juliana Goodman, HOW YOU GROW WINGS by Rimma Onoseta, BEATING HEART BABY by Li Min
Juvenile Non-Fiction: MEMORIES AND LIFE LESSONS FROM THE MAGIC TREE HOUSE by Mary Pope Osborne, FIRST RULE OF CLIMATE CLUB by Carrie Firestone
Juvenile Fiction: DRAGON RIDER by Cornelia Funke, (DRAGON RIDER) GRIFFIN’S FEATHER by Cornelia Funke, THE COLLECTORS by Philip Pullman, (Magic Tree House-graphic novel) PIRATES PAST NOON by Mary Pope Osborne, OH SAL by Kevin Henkes