Belle Plaine, Iowa
January 11, 2022
A regular meeting of the Belle Plaine Community School District Board of Education was held on Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 6:30 p.m. in the board room at Longfellow Elementary, Belle Plaine.
Members Present: Val Coffman, Ben Reineke, Rima Johnson, Stephen Beck, Alicia Jacobi
Members Absent: None
Administration Present: Chad Straight, Heather Coover, Ryan Devereux
Board Secretary Present: Stacey Kolars
Visitors Present: Interested Patrons
Press Representative: None
The meeting was called to order by President Coffman at 6:30 p.m.
Motion Reineke, second Jacobi to approve the agenda. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
There were no delegations.
CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
The Consent Agenda Items were reviewed and considered. There was motion by Jacobi, second by Reineke to approve the following: Approval of the minutes of the December 14, 2022 Organizational meeting minutes; Approval of bills and financial statements, Acceptance of resignations-none. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
PRINCIPAL REPORTS-Secondary Principal, Ryan Devereux and Elementary Principal, Heather Coover gave their respective reports to the board.
Superintendent Straight gave his report to the board
Condolences were sent to teacher associate, Vicki Stanerson and her family after the recent passing of her husband, Gene.
1. Action/Discussion on PPEL/SAVE Projects-Discussion took place regarding the current projects that have been completed to date and project priorities for future dates. No action was taken on this item.
NEW BUSINESS ITEMS
1. Approval of the Employment of Personnel-There was motion by Reineke, second by Jacobi to approve Brock Flack as asst. girls’ track coach. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
2. Action/Discussion on House Project and Applications from Community-Discussion took place on an application from a family in the rural area of the district for a possible house build. Larry Formanek was present at the meeting to update the board on the current housing project and give input on future builds. After discussion, there was motion by Jacobi, second by Reineke to deny the application for a rural house building project, but to move forward with the school’s plan to build a house for sale in the community on lots already owned/purchased by the school district. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
3. Action/Discussion on Application to SBRC for At-Risk/Dropout MSA-There was motion by Beck, second by Reineke to approve the district’s application for At-Risk/Dropout Modified Supplemental Amount funding in the amount of $150,677. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
4. Action/Discussion on Approval of Budget Guarantee Resolution for the 2023-2024 Year-There was motion Beck, second by Johnson to approve the following resolution:
RESOLVED, that the Board of Directors of Belle Plaine Community School District, will levy property taxes for fiscal year 2023-2024 for the regular program budget adjustment as allowed under section 257.14, Code of Iowa.
On roll call vote: Beck, “aye;” Johnson, “aye;” Reineke, “aye;” Coffman, “aye;” Jacobi, “aye.” Motion carried.
5. Action/Discussion on Selecting Board Members for Negotiations Teams-There was motion by Jacobi, second by Reineke to appoint board members Jacobi and Johnson to represent the board in negotiations with the Teamsters Unions, and board members Reineke and Coffman to represent the board in negotiations with the BPEA. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
6. Action/Discussion on Bus Barn Supplies or Changes- After discussion regarding the needs for supply and equipment purchases for the new bus barn facility, there was motion by Beck, second by Johnson to approve the necessary supply purchases for the new bus barn. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
There was motion by Jacobi, second by Beck to go into closed session per the written request of the Superintendent per Iowa Code 21.5(i). All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
The board went into closed session at 7:34 p.m.
The board came out of closed session at 10:15 p.m.
There was motion by Beck, second by Johnson to adjourn the meeting at 10:16 p.m. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
Val Coffman, Board President Stacey Kolars, Board Secretary