Belle Plaine City Council Meeting
Council Chambers – Belle Plaine City Hall
Wednesday February 15, 2023 6:30 pm
1. Call to order
2. Roll Call
3. Pledge of Allegiance
4. Approval of Consent Agenda, Council minutes of February 1, 2023 & bills received.
5. Resident Comments
6. a. Public Hearing: Concerning the city maximum property tax dollars for the affected levy totals concerning the FY 24 Belle Plaine City Budget.
b. Close public hearing.
c. Discuss possible approval resolution #23-02-04: a resolution approving the maximum tax dollars from certain levies for the city’s proposed fiscal year 2023-2024 budget.
7. Need a motion to set the public hearing for the 2023-2024 budget for March 15, 2023, in the BP City Council Chambers at 1207 8th Avenue, Belle Plaine, Iowa @ 6:30 pm at the regular Belle Plaine, City Council meeting.
8. Public Hearing: Concerning proposed adoption of ordinances granting to Interstate Power and Light Company (Alliant Energy) 25-year non-exclusive electric and natural gas franchises and imposing a 3% franchise fee. Close the public hearing.
9. Discuss for possible approval the first reading of Ordinance 23-01, an Ordinance repealing Chapter 111, and granting to Interstate Power and Light Company a non- exclusive electric franchise for the City of Belle Plaine, Iowa and imposing a 3% franchise fee.
10. Discuss for possible approval the first reading of Ordinance 23-02, an Ordinance repealing Chapter 111, and granting to Interstate Power and Light Company a non- exclusive natural gas franchise for the City of Belle Plaine, Iowa and imposing a 3% franchise fee.
11. Discuss whether to approve an extension of our current garbage/recycling contract with Republic Services or send it out for bid.
12. Police Report: Chief Hudson
13. BPCDC Report
14. Discuss for possible approval renewal of the Class B retail alcohol license with Sunday Sales for DOLGENCORP, LLC (Dollar General) at 405 13″‘ Street, Belle Plaine, Iowa.
15. Discuss for possible approval a reduction in the utility bill at 1616 8″‘ Avenue, Belle Plaine, Iowa because of frozen pipes and a toilet leak which have been fixed. ($284.16)
16. Discuss for possible approval Resolution #23-02-03; a resolution to revise resolution #22-11-02 which approved usage of ARPA Funds for relocation of two emergency sirens.
17. Approve the appointment of Teresa Herr sen to the Tree Board (to replace exiting member Vicki Schwab) – term to expire January 2026.
18. a. City Treasurers Report (January)
b. City Budget Report (January)
c. Solar Report
19. Committee of the Whole – (Drones discussion postponed until March 1, 2023)
20. City Administrator’s Report: Update on current projects.
21. Mayor’s Report: Meeting Report.
22. Correspondence: Letter to Council from Waste Management of Iowa, Inc.
23. Old Business: None
24. Resident Comments
25. Consideration of a Motion to Enter Into Closed session Iowa Code 21.5 (1) (c) To discuss strategy with counsel in matters that are presently in litigation or where litigation is imminent where disclosure would be likely to prejudice or disadvantage the position of the government body in that litigation.
26. Motion to come out of closed session.
27. Motion & proposal on the actions to be taken from closed session.
If you need accommodations to attend a Belle Plaine City Council meeting, please contact Title VI Coordinator/City Administrator or Mayor @ 319-444-2200 for arrangements.
Posted February 10, 2023