Minutes – City of Newhall Regular Meeting and Public Hearing
Monday, March 9, 2020 at 7:00 PM at City Hall
Mayor Mattson called the regular meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Council members present: Gessner, Boddicker, Gardemann, Rinderknecht, and Campbell
Approval of the Agenda: Motion by Boddicker, 2nd by Gardemann approve the agenda after
removing LB Anderson insurance invoice from the bills list for $40,956.00 and add the
payment/renewal to item g, all present aye, motion carried.
Maintenance: New phones are working great, alarms are also working; Sampler needed
recalibrated; siren got changed for daylight savings time; door at main park pavilion has been replaced and the shop door will be completed this week.
Mayor: Solar panel for sewer plant is being looked at, we have received information from Alliant that we needed for Rabe Hardware and will forward it on for a quote.
City Clerk: Ryan with Atkins Savings Bank informed Keri that they are unable to give the city an insurance quote that would meet the cities needs and comparable to EMC; March 18th city extinguishers will have their annual maintenance checks.
Fire: New helmets are in; 3 reps will be meeting with the department with quotes for gear.
Parks: Dan and Trent noticed tear in batting cage carpet, Jan and Mart spoke with Country Floors about checking it out and maybe re-gluing it; Poles on the batting cage need to be sand blasted and painted.
Library: April and Keri will work on making the Library Bylaws and the City Code the same. Library Board will approve and then City Council will receive the recommended changes.
Consent Agenda and Bill Consent: Motion by Rinderknecht, 2nd by Gessner to approve the
minutes from February 10, 2020, February 24, 2020 and bills totaling $15,552.82, all present
aye, motion carried.
VENDOR DESCRIPTION AMOUNT
ALLIANT ENERGY CITY – ELECTRIC AND GAS $6,996.84
BENTON CO SOLID WASTE CITY – TIPPING FEE 1/23 – 2/20 $1,551.00
BROWN SUPPLY CO SEWER – REPAIR CLAMP $280.00
GAZETTE COMMUNICATIONS CITY – PUBLICATIONS $167.00
GESSNER REPAIR FIRE – F-724 FIRE TRUCK MAINTENANCE $217.42
GWORKS CITY – W2 FORMS $87.22
HAWKINS, INC. WATER/SEWER – SUPPLIES AND FREIGHT $506.98
HYDRANTS UNLIMITED WATER/SEWER – OPERATIONS AND SUPPLIES $1,120.00
IOWA ASSOC OF MUNICIPAL CITY – WATER MEMBER DUES $643.00
JOHN DEERE FINANCIAL CITY/SHOP – SUPPLIES $119.41
LINN COOP CITY – FUEL $448.26
MUNICIPAL EMERGENCY SERV FIRE – SEEK TIC RETRACTOR KIT $2,000.00
NEW CENTURTY FS CITY – FUEL $106.72
SOUTH SLOPE CITY – INTERNET, CABLE AND PHONE $530.23
VISA CITY – CARDS, CELL STARTUP, PENS, HACH SUPPLIES,
ADOBE, REPORT COVERS $765.12
VISA LIRBARY – DOLLAR GENERAL/SHELLYS $13.62
- Marquee was tabled for more information or for Tharp to attend meeting to answer
- 1st Reading of Ordinance 288 – Installation of Permanent Stop Signs – Motion by
Gardemann, 2nd Campbell, roll call vote all aye, motion carried.
- City Wide Garage Sales will be June 6th, City Wide Clean up day will be June 13th, more
information to follow.
- Trent Claeys will attend classes at Kirkwood in May for water certification.
- After certification occurs, council will discuss a contract with Trent Claeys.
- Motion by Boddicker, 2nd by Gardemann for Keri to purchase the HP Laser Jet Pro
M479FDW wireless color laser printer at $449.99 and the 4 year protection for $59.99 for a total of $509.98, all present aye, motion carried.
- Motion by Boddicker, 2nd by Campbell to approve LB Anderson for the city insurance with the policy term date through 4/1/2021, payment of $40,956.00, and adding Cyber
coverage for a premium of $1000.00, all present aye, motion carried.
- Motion by Gardemann, 2nd by Rinderknecht to approve the purchase of the John Deere
Mower (Z970R ZTRAK W/72” Deck – $13,800.00 minus $3,500.00 for trade in on old
mower, totaling $10,300.00) and Hydraulic Kit ($600.00), all present aye, motion carried.
- Adjournment: At 8:16 p.m. Gessner moved to adjourn, Rinderknecht seconded, all present ayes, motion carried.
Jan Mattson – Mayor
Keri Touro – City Clerk