Belle Plaine, Iowa
June 9, 2021
A regular meeting of the Belle Plaine Community School District Board of Education was held on Wednesday, June 9 2021 at 6:30 p.m. in the gymnasium at Longfellow Elementary, Belle Plaine.
Members Present: Val Coffman, Stephen Beck, Rima Johnson, Alicia Jacobi
Members Absent: Ben Reineke
Administration Present: Chad Straight, Heather Coover, Ryan Devereux
Board Secretary Present: Stacey Kolars
Visitors Present: Interested Patrons
Press Representative: None
The meeting was called to order by President Coffman at 6:30 p.m.
Motion Jacobi, second Johnson to approve the agenda. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
There were no delegations.
The consent agenda items were considered. There was motion by Johnson, second by Jacobi to approve the consent agenda items. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried. The consent agenda items that were approved are listed below:
- Approval of the minutes of the May 3, 2021 regular meeting, the May 14, 2021 special meeting and the May 26, 2021 special meeting.
- Approval of bills, payroll, financial statements.
- Personnel/Business Items:
- Acceptance of the resignations: Clara Kienitz from JH Track Coach, and Richard Sankot from assistant football coach.
PRINCIPAL REPORTS-Secondary Principal, Ryan Devereux and Elementary Principal, Heather Coover gave their respective reports to the board on the following topics:
Superintendent Straight gave his report to the board
Board secretary Kolars gave information to the board about the upcoming school election on November 5, 2021.
1. Action/Discussion on PPEL/SAVE Projects-Discussion took place regarding the current projects that have been completed to date and project priorities for future dates. No action was taken on this item.
1. Approval of the Employment of Personnel-Superintendent Straight had no recommendations for the employment of personnel. No action was taken on this item.
2. Focus on Education: Apprenticeship Program Report- Leah Mast and Principal Ryan Devereux reported to the board on the apprenticeship program.
3. Action/Discussion on Pay for Teamsters and Non-Certified Staff-Superintendent Straight recommended the board consider raising substitute pay for non-certified staff to the starting pay rate for those positions. There was motion by Jacobi, second by Johnson to approve Superintendent Straight’s recommendation. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
4. Action/Discussion on First Reading of Board Policies 800-804.5 and 900-907.R.1-After reviewing the policies, there was motion by Johnson, second by Jacobi to approve the first readings of policies 800-804.5 and 900-907.R.1. All voted “aye.” Motion carried.
5. Action/Discussion on Review of Wellness Policy 507.9- There was motion by Jacobi, second by Beck to approve the review of the Wellness Policy 507.9 with no changes. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
6. Action/Discussion on Milk/Bread and Gas Bids –After review, there was motion by Johnson, second by Jacobi to approve Anderson Erickson for the firm milk bid for the 2021-2022 school year. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried. No bread/bakery bids were received. There was motion by Beck, second by Jacobi to approve the board president to have the authority to approve a bread bid when/if one is submitted. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried. There was motion by Beck, second by Johnson to approve Grieder Oil’s bid for gas and petroleum products for the 2021-2022 school year. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
There was motion by Jacobi, second by Johnson to adjourn the meeting at 7:16 p.m. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
Val Coffman, Board President Stacey Kolars, Board Secretary