**NOTICE TO VOTERS**
CITY/SCHOOL ELECTION NOVEMBER 2, 2021
Polling Place Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
ABSENTEE VOTING IN THE AUDITOR’S OFFICE: Absentee ballots will be available on, Wednesday, October 13, 2021, at the Benton County Auditor’s Office and may be voted in the office until 5:00 p.m., Monday, November 1, 2021.
ABSENTEE BALLOTS BY MAIL: A ballot may be mailed to you upon your request. Requests can be in writing (you must include your name, address, date of birth, date, name of election and signature) or on an official absentee ballot request form. Requests must be received by the auditor’s office no later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, October 18th, 2021. Official forms may be obtained by contacting the auditor’s office or by clicking our Benton County Election website: www.elections.bentoncountyia.gov
VOTER REGISTRATION: You must be registered to vote to participate in the City/School Election. Registration may be done in several ways.
- You may register in person in the auditor’s office. The deadline is 5:00 p.m., Monday, October 18th, 2021.
- You may mail your registration to the auditor’s office. Voter registrations that are mailed must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, October 18, 2021.
- Election Day Registration – You may register at your polling place on Election Day by presenting a current photo ID and proof of residency to the election officials. Contact the auditor’s office for a list of approved documents.
VOTER ID REQUIREMENTS: Voters who are unable to show ID (or prove residence if required) may have their identities attested to by another registered voter in the precinct or have the right to cast a provisional ballot. Election Day Registrant attesters must also show ID. Call the Secretary of State’s Office at 1-888-SOS-VOTE or the County Auditor’s Office at 319-472-2365 with any questions or concerns.
VOTING EQUIPMENT TESTING: A public test of the Unisyn optical scan precinct count units will begin on Monday, October 11, 2021 at 10:00 a.m.
EXTENDED HOURS: The Benton County Auditor’s Office will be open
Monday, October 18, 2021, from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
Friday, October 29, 2021, from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. and
Monday, November 1, 2021, from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
CONTACT: The Benton County Auditor’s Office if you have questions regarding voter registration, absentee voting, or other election related issues:
HAYLEY RIPPEL, BENTON COUNTY AUDITOR
P.O. BOX 549
VINTON, IOWA 52349
2021 ELECTION LAW CHANGES:
Voter Registration: Voter must register to vote 15 days (October 18, 2021) or more before the election to appear on the voter register on Election Day.
- The first day to submit an absentee ballot request form to the Auditors office is 70 days (August 24, 2021.)
- The first day the Auditors office may mail absentee ballots to voters is 20 days (October 13, 2021) before an election.
- The first day to vote absentee in person at the Auditor’s Office is 20 days (October 13, 2021).
- Absentee ballot requests for voting by mail must be received by 15 days (October 18, 2021) before the election.
- Absentee ballots must be received by the county auditor by 8:00 p.m. on Election Day.
Returning Absentee Ballots:
- The only people who may return a voted absentee ballot other than the voter are:
- Someone living in the voter’s household
- An immediate family member
- The two special precinct election officials who deliver a ballot to the resident of a health care facility, dementia-specific assisted living program or hospital
- Voters unable to return a ballot due to blindness or other disability may use a “delivery agent” to deliver their ballots.
ABSENTEE BALLOTS CANNOT BE PLACED IN THE DROP BOX OUTSIDE OF THE COURTHOUSE!!!