Van Horne Community Newsletter – August 2022
Back in December of last year, I received letters from three Van Horne 5th graders, as part of a school project – each telling me what they thought was needed to make our town better. I wrote them back, thanked them for their suggestions and invited each to come to a council meeting to be recognized for their ideas.
One brave and confident girl came to a meeting and addressed the Council on how to make the City Park better. One of her ideas was a Gaga Ball Pit. We did our research – found it was very popular – and with some money earmarked for park improvements by an anonymous donor at year-end, we ordered it. It’s now in the park and you can’t miss it – because it’s a new addition, and it’s where all the kids are playing. A big thanks to Jared and Mike for building it in just a couple days.
A fairly constant reminder in this newsletter over the last 10 years has been regarding the dumping of non-brush items at the brush dump. The council recently approved the purchase of cameras to help enforce these rules. They’re now up and running.
Lastly, the Sons of the Legion Sandwich Supper is back this Monday, August 15th. I hope you see you there! — Mayor Pat Gorkow
“The child who is not embraced by his village will burn it down to feel its warmth.” – African proverb
Dates on Deck
• August 8 Van Horne Council meeting at 6:30 at City Hall
• August 15 Sons of the Legion Sandwich Meals 5:30-7:00 p.m
• August 20 VH Fire Department Ribeye/Pork Chop Supper Fundraiser 5-7 p.m.
• August 30 Senior Citizen Luncheon at the CC Noon
• September 5 Garage Sales 8:00 am – 1:00 pm
• Thank you to the residents of Van Horne and surrounding area for your continual support of our can and bottle project. Profits of the project are returned to the community as we support the Library and the Rec Department activities.
• Would you like a bargain when you buy garbage bags? We sell them – 100 bags for $25 – 30 gallon capacity, very durable. We will give you another bargain when you attend one of our breakfasts. The sale then is $20! You may call the Wiebke’s (228-8348) or Larry and Lou Albers (521-1510) to order and they will be happy to deliver them.
GARAGE SALES: Garage sales are set for Saturday, September 10th from 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Time to start cleaning out those closets and storage areas. Sign Up sheets available at City Hall or Bank.
Water bills: can now be paid online at: https://allpaid.com/web/allpaid/payments/#/payment/a002ur/info or you may go to www.allpaid.com and search for City of Van Horne.
Birds of A Feather
• The first thing on the calendar is Fresh Produce from Our Grace Farms of Watkins. They will be at The Marketplace by Birds of a Feather from 4-7 THIS FRIDAY, AUGUST 5. This may be weekly throughout August so stay posted.
• One of the first events will be a wine tasting on Wednesday August 24. This is an invitation event which will require a RSVP as space will be limited to the first 24 people. If it fills fast and if enjoyed, we may add another one later in the Fall. I will be sending the invitation in a separate email.
• You will notice we are hosting an Antique show Aug. 26 and 27. If you or someone you know deals in antiques and would like to be a participant just let me know and I’ll get the information out.
• We will again be hosting three Farmers Markets. They were very well received last Fall and we are hoping to build on that success. As with the Antique Show, if you or someone you know may be interested in being a vendor let me know.
• Please notice during the last Farmers Market (Oct. 8) we will be having a Children’s Fall Festival. Stop down for family fun.
• Feel free to pass forward on the Event Schedule to friends and family. As always thank you for your support and we look forward to seeing you this Fall.
VH FIRE DEPARTMENT: The Van Horne Fire Department would like to invite you to attend our annual Ribeye Steak and Pork Chop Supper fundraiser on Saturday August 20th, 2022. We will be serving from 5:00 PM till 7:00 PM at the Van Horne Emergency Response Station. Please show your support and join friends and neighbors for a special meal on August 20th, 2022. The meal includes choice of pork chop or ribeye steak, salad bar, baked potato, sweet corn, drinks and dessert. We will deliver meals in town only for those that are elderly or disabled. Thank You for your continued support. If you cannot attend this fundraiser, please consider contributing to help in the upkeep and purchase of new equipment.
- Adult Fiction: RIZZOLI AND ISLES LISTEN TO ME by Tess Gerritsen, SUSPECTS by Danielle Steel, THE READING LIST by Sara Nisha Adams, GRACE UNDER FIRE by Julie Garwood, THE BEST IS YET TO COME by Debbie Macomber, THE BIG DARK SKY by Dean Koontz, THE 6:20 MAN by David Baldacci, SHATTERED by James Patterson
- Adult Fiction Large Print Books: FEVERED STAR by Rebecca Roanhorse, THE SUMMER PLACE by Jennifer Weiner, DANGER ON THE ATLANTIC by Erica Ruth Neubauer, MURDER ON MADISON SQUARE by Victoria Thompson, IF I WERE YOU by Lynn Austin, WHEN THE MEADOW BLOOMS by Ann H. Gabhart
- Adult Nonfiction: JUST TYRUS by George T. Murdoch
- Children’s: ADVENTURE’S OF ROBO-KID by Diane De Groat, THE WORLD BELONGED TO US by Jacqueline Woodson, ODD BIRDS by Laura Gehl, GIANT ISLAND by Jane Yolen
- YA: BREAK THIS HOUSE by Candice Iloh, QUEEN OF THE TILES by Hanna Alkaf
- Juvenile Non-Fiction: NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC WEIRD BUT TRUE ROCKS AND MINERALS by Michael Burgan
- Juvenile Fiction: AURELIA CURSE (DRAGON RIDER #3) by Cornelia Funke, CITY OF MAGIC by AVI, MUMMIES IN THE MORNING: MAGIC TREE HOUSE by Mary Pope Osbourne, ELLEN OUTSIDE THE LINES by A. J. Sass