Belle Plaine, Iowa
February 8, 2023
A regular meeting of the Belle Plaine Community School District Board of Education was held on Wednesday, February 8, 2023 at 6:30 p.m. in the board room at Longfellow Elementary, Belle Plaine.
Members Present: Val Coffman, Ben Reineke, Rima Johnson, Stephen Beck, Alicia Jacobi
Members Absent: None
Administration Present: Chad Straight, Heather Coover, Ryan Devereux
Board Secretary Present: Stacey Kolars
Visitors Present: Interested Patrons
Press Representative: None
The meeting was called to order by President Coffman at 6:34 p.m.
Motion Reineke, second Beck to approve the agenda. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
There were no delegations.
CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
The Consent Agenda Items were reviewed and considered. There was motion by Reineke, second by Jacobi to approve the following: Approval of the minutes of the January 11, 2023 meeting minutes; Approval of bills and financial statements, Acceptance of resignations-none. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
PRINCIPAL REPORTS-Secondary Principal, Ryan Devereux and Elementary Principal, Heather Coover gave their respective reports to the board.
Superintendent Straight gave his report to the board
Thank you cards were received from Vicki Stanerson and Linda Dietze.
1. Action/Discussion on PPEL/SAVE Projects-Discussion took place regarding the current projects that have been completed to date and project priorities for future dates. No action was taken on this item.
NEW BUSINESS ITEMS
1. Approval of the Employment of Personnel-No action was taken on this item.
2. Discussion of Focus on Education-5th Grade-5th Grade Teachers, Jenna Arey and Kate Kiebach presented to the board about 5th Grade Science curriculum and hands-on activities.
3. Action/Discussion on Offering Summer School-After brief discussion there was motion by Johnson, second by Beck to approve offering summer school for the 2022-2023 school year. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
4. Action/Discussion on Setting a Public Hearing Date for the 2023-2024 School Calendar-There was motion by Jacobi, second by Reineke to set the public hearing date for the 23-24 school calendar for March 8, 2023 at the regular school board meeting. All voted, “aye.”Motion carried.
5. Action/Discussion on First Reading of Board Policy 203 and Board Policies 403-401.12-There was motion by Reineke, second by Jacobi to approve the first reading of Board Polices 203 and 400-401.12. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
There was motion by Beck, second by Johnson to adjourn the meeting at 7:38 p.m. All voted, “aye.” Motion carried.
Val Coffman, Board President Stacey Kolars, Board Secretary